Gluten Free Meatballs - Caribbean/ Teriyaki

As some of you know, I found out I was severely allergic to wheat a few months ago.  Of course, what I was not told was that once I eliminated wheat from my diet, it would make me sick whenever I was exposed to it again.  And it varies, sometimes it makes me so tired I can sleep immediately, it makes my stomach swell like I'm pregnant, I get foggy in my head, sometimes I get stomach cramps etc. - I'm sure you get the point. Had I known about that I would have gone on a wheat fest before I gave it up. Larry has a moderate allergy so it doesn't affect him immediately when he eats it and he has milder symptoms.

So I started playing with some of my old recipes to see if I could make some things either without flour or with another substitute. Many of the recipes I read that are gluten free include something called Xantham Gum, but I try to stay away from those items that are not really food. So you will not see my recipes involving that item. I have successfully converted my shepherds Pie and meatloaf recipes to Gluten free.. I am such a sauce queen and I have found many different gluten free sauces that I love to cook with now.

My meatball recipe has become one of the staples in my house. Mainly because you can do any flavor you want to add with them. The original recipe called for 1 pound ground beef and 1 pound sausage, 1 onion, and some spices. I mix it up and do turkey and sausage or turkey/beef/sausage. Pretty easy right? Larry has yet to notice the difference so it works out great. He does know that I switch things out on him so I'm not being deceptive. I just don't tell him until after we have eaten :). He would eat beef at every meal if I would let him!  Even with meatloaf I can do half turkey and half beef and he doesn't notice.

This is the sauce I found for the Caribbean meatballs. I only added 1 teaspoon because it is potent. It has some heat but lots of flavor which I like. I also added some gluten free flour as well when I made it this way. I never make any recipe the same way. I free flow on spices and am pretty heavy handed. I always use Adobe, but sometimes add parsley or some Italian spices. I use Teriyaki sauce or BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Rays is gluten free) sometimes.

I have noticed that since I went gluten free that I have lost 15 pounds and my belly fat has definitely shrunk. I believe everyone should be tested for food allergies if  you are having constant sinus problems or stomach problems as these are all end results of allergies. I thought I had IBS but once I got wheat out of my  body I no longer have IBS symptoms unless I get accidentally exposed. I will tell you that I have cheated on purpose, but for the most part, it just is not worth it for me.

So here is to gluten free lifestyle! If you have any favorite recipes or sites please let us know!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

By His Stripes!

Is it the end??

Remember No More